A Timeline of The Tallest Hotel in Dubai 2021
The title of the tallest hotel in the world’ is one applied to buildings used wholly as hotels. Being a city of firsts, Dubai is home to most of the hotels that have reached this milestone. The tallest hotel in Dubai is currently the Gevora hotel. However, it will be overtaken in a few years by the Ciel tower currently under construction.
Below is a timeline of the tallest hotels in Dubai over the years:
Timeline of The Tallest Hotel in Dubai
Burj Al Arab
Burj Al Arab has reigned over the Dubai coastline since its opening in 1999. At 321 meters, it is the third tallest hotel in Dubai although 39% of this height is made up of non-occupiable space.
Burj Al Arab hotel stands on an artificial island, 280 meters from Dubai beach. The hotel features an iconic ship sail design- the work of architect Tom Wright of WS Atkins. Construction began in 1994, taking two years to reclaim the Island where the hotel stands.
The other three years were used to erect the marvel that is now Burj Al Arab. The hotel has 202 bedroom suites and 6 restaurants.
Below are some interesting facts about the Burj Al Arab:
- The hotel’s famous helipad is located at 210 meters
- The all-female staff at the front and greeting desk wear gold earrings and necklace pendants in the shape of the Burj Al Arab logo
- The hotel’s Talise Spa was awarded the Best Luxury Spa in the World Luxury Spa Awards in 2014
- The hotel’s Al Mahara restaurant is accessible via submarine. It features a sea aquarium with 990,000 liters of water.
JW Marriott Marquis Dubai
The other tallest hotel in Dubai is the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel. Developed by the Emirates Group, the Dubai branch is an addition to the JW Marriott luxury hotel brand.
JW Marriott Marquis Dubai is composed of two towers. These are symmetrically placed on a 7-story podium to capture views of the Burj Khalifa, Business Bay, and the ocean. The design is inspired by a date palm tree, which is an indigenous desert plant. At 355 meters, it is the second tallest hotel in Dubai.
The tower is composed of food and beverage outlets, rooftop bars, conference halls, meeting rooms, a banquet hall, and a health club with a spa, swimming pool, and gymnasium.
Below are some interesting facts about the JW Marriott Hotel in Dubai:
- You can switch your bathroom lights to a soft pink haze for a soothing and romantic atmosphere
- The hotel’s Dubai ballroom has LED lights and chandeliers with a selection of 1000 colors.
- Three tonnes of salt are shipped from the Dead Sea to service the hotel’s Saray spa and it’s signature Dead Sea float pool
- The hotel’s lounge contains 1326 colored bottles on display.
Gevora Hotel along Sheikh Zayed Road is currently the tallest hotel in Dubai at 356 meters. The hotel opened its doors in 2018 after a 12-year construction period.
The hotel has 528 rooms spread across 75 floors with numerous facilities for visitors such as the main swimming pool, kids’ pool, Jacuzzi, health club, and gym with a steam room, sauna, and luxury spa.
Below are other interesting information about the Gevora Hotel:
- It is only 1 meter higher than the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel
- Gevora is a four-star hotel although seeks to compete with other luxury hotels in Dubai
- There are five restaurants including Gevora Kitchen, serving international cuisine, Level Twelve serving a Middle Eastern menu, and Highest View Restaurant that serves Arabic dishes.
The Ciel Tower is currently under construction at the Dubai Marina district. It is set to reach a height of 360 meters and take the title of the tallest hotel in Dubai from Gevora. The hotel will have 1042 rooms spread over 82 floors.
The Ciel tower’s design is the work of architects from NORR, also credited with Atlantis the Palm hotel on Palm Jumeirah. The building design is in the shape of a glass sculpture and won three prizes at the International Property Awards in 2019 for Best International Hotel Architecture, Best Hotel Architecture Arabia, and Best High-rise Architecture Arabia. Ciel Tower is scheduled to open in 2023.
- What You May Not Know About The Tallest Building In Dubai
- All You Need To Know About The New Tallest Building In Dubai
The tallest hotel in Dubai is a prestigious title that will change hands for years to come but Dubai continues to offer the world’s best and most luxurious accommodations.